Journal #9

5/8/2021

Hey everyone! Welcome to my ninth journal entry. In this entry I want to talk about my progress so far with the engineering proposal. I drafted it today and finished my first two sections and outlined the rest. When I turned on my computer to start writing, I kind of blanked out because it felt like I had nothing to go off of. With all previous assignments, we usually had to outline it first and then start writing but there wasn’t an outline assigned for this one, which made starting really hard. I just had a bunch of really good ideas in my head but no way of organizing them, so I made a little outline for myself to start off. I actually never realized the importance of outlining until now, when it wasn’t something assigned but something I needed to do to start writing. It’s not just for the professor or my peers to get an overall picture of my essay topic, but it’s more for me, as the writer, to organize my thoughts in a way that makes sense and has an impact on the reader. What started off as a five minute very rough outline became very detailed as I did more research and found more sources and information. After that, the essay just writes itself, with ideas building off of each other. The outline is most of the leg work in the assignment, after that it becomes very easy. I’m very proud with what I’ve come up with so far in my engineering proposal, as I was able to tackle very complex ideas and technologies that I never really learned about before and had to research on my own. I also thoroughly outlined the rest of the proposal so that in the coming days as I finish it, it’ll be a lot easier and more coherent. We’re very close to the end of the semester and I’m going to make sure to make a good final impression.